Monday, June 24, 2013

Saying "No."

The last couple of months have been a bit of a hazy fog for me.  We had to put one of our beloved golden retrievers down and it hit me way harder than I had expected it would.  I didn't have much interest in anything art related for weeks.  As the fog began to lift, I slowly got back into art.  I still miss her and think of her often, but it is time to get back to living.

Recently I had a great opportunity to teach art for a local "paint and wine" company.  They are a new start-up and still working out the format/structure of their business.  Initially, I thought it was going to be the perfect opportunity to get in on the ground floor, help them build the art side of their business, and create opportunities and open doors for me. 

But as I got further involved, I felt like something wasn't working.  At first I couldn't but my finger on it.  So I went within and really listened to my inner voice.  After a day or two I figured out why it just wasn't meant for me.  I was left with only one option.  I needed to say, "No."

I didn't act on it immediately.  I was scared to say "No."  What would happen if I said it?  Would another opportunity come along or was this my one shot?  I was paralyzed by the thought of saying "No."  I struggled with it.  Heck, at one point I even tried to talk myself back into it.  Ultimately though, I kept coming back to the same reasoning and my inner voice kept telling me that I needed to pass on the opportunity.  When I finally said, "No." it was as if a major weight had been lifted.  The sun was brighter.  The air all around me was happier.  I knew then that it was the right choice for me. 

I wish them all the best and sincerely hope that they go on to great and amazing things.  It'll just be with another artist.  THIS artist has a different path to take. 

I am now exploring my own capacity to conduct private paint and sip parties that feature my own artwork/designs and in doing so will be using my creative energy, time, and talents to build up my own brand/art business.  By saying "No." to something else, I have created space in my soul and schedule to say "Yes!" to me.

Have you ever said, "No." to an opportunity?  How did it lead to a different/better "Yes!" down the road?

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts. Your new plan sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have so much more fun doing it your own way! I look forward to coming to one of your sip and paint parties! Good luck with this path!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did, indeed, say no--and recently! I felt like I was letting people down, but, in the end, they did fine and I have more time for me...to relax, to create, to enjoy my husband! I think you have made a wise decision for yourself here. The great thing is that you are on your own path, not someone else's! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one, I'm still awaiting an opportunity to get the chance to say anything too LOL.

    Just wanted to send you my love on the loss of your beloved dog, I have lost two recently so feel that pain, they are just not with us long enough x

    ReplyDelete
  5. All, thank you so much for your kind words especially about our beloved and dearly missed dog, Brandy. Your sweet support is very much appreciated. And as I've watched the company continue down its path (as I have continued down mine), I am continuing to see that my instinct to say "No" was exactly right for me. Lots of exciting things in the works.

    Much love to all.

    ReplyDelete